Every journey starts with the first step.
Deciding to leave an abusive relationship can be dangerous or scary. Women’s Center & Shelter offers many ways to make connecting easy when you feel safe to do so. You can reach out to WC&S by calling, chatting, or texting.
Warning Signs of an Abuser
Look for these common warning signs and characteristics to help you identify a potential abuser.
- Severe jealousy
- Name calling, insults or disparaging language (verbal abuse)
- Explosive temper
- Extremely controlling and manipulative behavior
- Antiquated beliefs about roles of women and men in relationships
- Forced sex or disregard of their partner’s unwillingness to have sex
- Sabotage or refusal of birth control methods
- Animal cruelty or abuse
- Blaming the victim for anything bad that happens
- Obstruction of the victim’s ability to work or attend school
- Controlling all the finances
- Accusations of the victim flirting with others or having an affair
- Dictating what the victim wears and how they act
- Stalking, in person or online
- Demeaning the victim either privately or publicly
- Embarrassing or humiliating the victim in front of others
- Harassment of the victim at work
- Abuse of other family members, children or pets
You say when. Is today your day?
Perhaps, you’ve felt lost. You have been told that you are not worthy of love. Are you?
Yes, you are. We are here to talk when you feel it’s safe. Someone is always ready to listen.
If you or someone you know needs help, we offer three immediate ways to get support.
Women’s Center & Shelter is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization providing free and confidential services to survivors of intimate partner violence and their children. We believe that everyone has the right to live free from abuse.
Our services are free to those who reach out to us. If you wish to support our work, here are a few ways:
- Make a secure, online gift
- Send a check made payable to Women’s Center & Shelter to P.O. Box 9024 Pittsburgh, PA 15224
- Shop for items on our Wish List
- Learn about Others Ways to Give, such as fundraising on our behalf, collecting cell phones or naming Women’s Center & Shelter as the beneficiary of a bequest
Together, we are making a difference in the lives of survivors and their children!